Sunday, January 28

Responsible Journalism?

Much has been said about Jeff Oii of Screenshots < http://jeffooi.com/ > and Rocky's Bru blog recently in the main stream media. I am puzzled about what is actually defined as responsible journalism? In my opinion , responsible journalism is when one is honest about what he/she is reporting. Being an undergrad who is majoring in Journalism, I have understood during my study period what it takes to be a journalist. Journalist are to be objective when reporting, there should not be any malice or malicious statements made in their reporting. It is rather unfair that statements are being made about bloggers since the Jeff Ooi incident.
Whatever happened to freedom of speech? I realise that freedom of speech comes with a lot of responsibility and independent journalist i.e bloggers do write from their own point of view. All said and done.

This is an expert from <http://walkwithus.wordpress.com/>

" Speaking later, Abdullah said the government would not censor bloggers but they had to be responsible and that they could be subject to defamation, sedition and other laws"


Which brings me back to my question, WHAT IS RESPONSIBLE BLOGGING or RESPONSIBLE JOURNALISM?
How are bloggers, particularly Jeff Ooi and Rocky Bru not being responsible for what they write? They attribute the information that write, they show evidence of their findings, they give an un-biased report allowing readers to form an opinion of their own.
As I write this entry , I am afraid of being sued for defamation as well... hence I shall not go on further, for the fear of being sued by the Malaysian Government for defamation. All this has definitely left a bitter taste to blogging.

No comments: